The Statistics Department of the Ministry is saddled with following statutory functions:
- Though amply explained in the State Statistics Law could be briefly stated as follows,
- Coordination of state
- Advising the state and the local governments on all matters relating to statistics
- Developing and the promoting the use of statistical standards and appropriate methodologies in the state statistical system
- Collecting, compiling, analyzing, interpreting, publishing and disseminating statistical information alone or collaborating with other agencies ( both governmental and non-governmental)
- Developing and maintaining a comprehensive socio-economic state data bank; and
- Fulfilling all other functions relating to statistics which the government may direct from time to time.
- Sensitize and advocate for the development and utilization of Statistics.